Curfew lifted, borders opened

President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf has ordered that a nationwide curfew imposed during the height of the Ebola Virus Disease or EVD here be lifted, while all the country’s main borders which were closed during the same period open on Sunday February 22, 2015.

The president’s decision is based on the advice of the National Security Council of Liberia as the country makes progress in controlling the EVD.

“We have only 8 cases in our 19 ETUs across the country and are reporting one case per week unlike in times past when we were reporting 70 to 100 confirmed cases on a daily basis,” Acting Information Minister Isaac Jackson told the New Dawn via text Sunday.

Related Articles

“In addition to this significant improvement, we now have a better surveillance system in place to arresting any eventuality” he added.

The nationwide curfew was imposed as a part of several measures meant to contain the further spread of the deadly Ebola virus disease and ensure national security.

Likewise, the Ministry of Health has been requested to ensure the adoption and implementation of health protocols that will prevent the importation of the virus through any of the crossing points, while members of the Joint Security assigned at the borders are mandated to work closely with the health authorities to ensure adherence to the health protocols and safety at all times.

It may be recalled that President Sirleaf, among other measures, in a nationwide address, announced the imposition of a curfew throughout the country beginning Wednesday, August 20th, from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.

Again, on Monday, September 8, 2014, President Ellen Johnson announced an adjustment in the curfew throughout the country which ran from 12:00 midnight to 6:00 a.m. The curfew has been in place since then.

At the time, she stressed that the additional measures were intended to contain the spread of the Ebola virus disease overall and particularly in those areas of intensity.

The Government’s actions were necessitated by the rapid spread of the disease, coupled with the death toll due largely to continued denials, cultural burying practices and failure to adhere to health protocols.

Back to top button