Raging fire has left a 15-bedroom house burnt to ashes in Mt. Barclay, Montserrado County, rendering dozens of inhabitants homeless. Eyewitnesses narrate that the incident occurred over the weekend when one of the occupants of the house allegedly left a lit charcoal in her cookpot after cooking.
They continue that the fire set the mattress ablaze and subsequently spread to other parts of the bedroom before engulfing the roof of the building. They blamed the situation on one of the occupants identified as Patience Coleman, who sells cooked food in the Mount Barclay Community.
Another occupant, HawaFoday, was reportedly at her selling place when the blazing fire took control of the entire building, destroying properties worth thousands of dollars. The proprietor of the house, Mr. Dennis Washington, who appeared very frustrated over the incident, declined to speak to reporters when contacted on the tragedy that left his property in ruins.
However, Mrs. Helena Dennis, one of the fire victims, laments that all of the occupants of the house had gone on their normal businesses when she received a phone-call from one of the neighbors, informing her that the entire premises has been gutted by fire.
According to her, she immediately contacted other tenants of the house, who received the information with mixed reactions, adding that most of the occupants did not return to the house. Ms Dennis laments that they have nowhere to go and appeals to government to come to their rescue with whatsoever materials to help restart their lives.
By Emmanuel Mondaye-Editing by Jonathan Browne