Below the Header Ad
General

Fire Disaster leaves One Dead, dozens Homeless

Above Article Ad

Over thirty inhabitants of the Gbarngba Town community off the Robertsfield Highway were made homeless over the weekend when five houses gutted five leaving a two-year-old baby dead. Though the cause of the fire was not officially known, but investigations conducted by this paper state multiple sources.

One eye-witness said a lady left candle on in her room and went out.  While another said someone from the town may have set the area ablaze to sell the spot to someone else. Another also attributed the cause of the fire to candle but did not say who left the candle on. Eye-witnesses say the incident, which around 7 to 8 pm at the VOA junction in Gbarngba Town occurred when many of the residents were already indoors.

“We were all indoors when we heard other people shouting, fire! Fire! And we ran out to see. But before we could realize, the fire has already destroyed about three houses and one of those houses my children can sleep in them that is how my two year- old son got burned to death.” Mohammed Kanneh the father of the dead boy told the New Dawn.

Another market woman, Trafina Wright said she has lost her entire goods that she is getting her living from because the fire extended to a warehouse where her goods were stored.  The New Dawn investigations established that the fire destroyed five houses, three shops, and two ware houses in the Town.

Deputy Health Minister Joseph Gebro on the scene expressed regret for the incident and called on NGOs and other donors to come to the aid of the victims. Though government and other humanitarian NGOs have not gone there, a Liberian philanthropist Albert Sarmah has so far identified with the fire victims by providing some food items and seven thousand Liberian dollars to families and promise to always be around to help.

Albert Sarmah called on national government to sensitize the people on the usage of fire in their respective homes and communities.

Fires incidents have in past caused families to loss members and rendered many of them homeless. However, many of these fire incidents have been as a result of lighted candle, exposed electric wire and burning charcoal which are being use in the mat-round or zinc-round makeshift homes that are bulky in most of Monrovia’s suburb, frequently.

Related Articles

Back to top button