Below the Header Ad
General

Internal Affairs Donate to Fire Victims in Bong

Above Article Ad

The Ministry of Internal Affairs has presented relief items to the Wennah’s Family in Suakoko, Bong County. The items were provided by the ministry to assist the family following a serious fire disaster that hit their home, destroying properties.

Presenting the items to the fire victims, the Deputy Internal Affairs Minister for Operations said the items were the ministry’s response in identifying with Paramount Chief Arthur Wennah and other family members residing in the house.

Deputy Minister Ranney Jackson noted that although it has been a very long time since the fire incidence took place, it was very important for the government to identify with the victims after losing their properties and cash in the fire disaster. Mr. Jackson extended government’s regret over the situation and maintained that the Ministry of Internal Affairs, under its disaster Management Program, was committed to ensuring that disaster victims are given some assistance.

He disclosed that funding for the purchase relief Items for disaster victims is being provided by the Economic Community for West African States (ECOWAS). Receiving the items on behalf of the family, the Paramount Chief of Suakoko Chiefdom, Arthur Wennah extended the family’s gratitude to the Internal Affairs Ministry and ECOWAS, emphasizing that his family was very happy for the government’s intervention, in terms of identifying with them during the period of sadness for the family.

Full of praises for President Ellen Johnson -Sirleaf, the Paramount Chief added that it was the very first time for the government to provide assistance to disaster victims, something he said, previous governments did not do.

He maintained that the fire incidence has caused serious embarrassment for his family, with some occupants of the building now displaced.  The house, which had about eight rooms, was being occupied by more than twenty five persons.

It was burnt in December 2012 as the result of an improper connection from a tiger generator placed in one of the rooms. Community members had to quickly rush to extinguish the fire to avoid spreading to other parts.  Among other things destroyed by fire were televisions, cash, clothes and household utensils.  Items provided by the Ministry of Internal Affairs included six bundles of zinc, used clothing, shovels, as well as other household utensils.

Related Articles

Back to top button