[bsa_pro_ad_space id=1]

Liberia news

JFK blames Rep. Forh

The Memorial Hospital Administrator at the John F. Kennedy Medical Center in Monrovia Doctor Mary Howard Nyanqueh says the father of the late Nakita D. Forh, Representative Edward Forh is responsible for her death.

JFK blames

Doctor Nyanqueh blames Rep. Edward Forh for negligence, which led to Nakita’s death and not the hospital, claiming that the Montserrado County lawmaker refused to take pieces of advice.
Doctor Nyanqueh is the fourth defendant witness in a US$25m lawsuit filed by Rep. Forh against the State -run John F. Kennedy Medical Center or JFKMC surrounding the death of his daughter Nakita in September 2014, which he claims was as a result of the hospital’s negligence.

She told the Civil Law Court “A” on Thursday, 6 October that she persistently asked Rep. Forh for Nakita to be taken to a palaver hut at the JFK where all patients were triaged, but refused and said his daughter had already died, so all he needed was a wheel chair.

According to witness Nyanqueh, she had called two nurses from the trauma unit to come with a stretcher in order to transfer the patient from the ground to the bed; but she saw the hospital’s unnamed security come from the gate with multiple bruises all over his hands, complaining to her that the patient’s (Nakita’s) relative ran into the gate and hit him (security). She said doctors examined the late Nakita and found that she was not breathing and pronounced her dead.

In an effort to justify why Rep. Forh was instructed to pass through the screening process like taking the patient’s temperature, witness Nyanqueh recalled that the legislature where Rep. Forh works and President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf set up protocols during the Ebola crisis.

She said there was protocol that patients observed by health facilities to have three or more symptoms of Ebola should not be admitted until they were taken in an Ebola Treatment Unit or ETU and tested.

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=1]

On the compound of JFK, she said there was an ETU and that carrying patient Nakita there was the best option at that time, saying “unfortunately”, the patient’s relative (Mr. Forh) did not listen to them.

She argued that in 2014 Liberia was fighting against a disease that it had never encountered before; and such disease led the country to lost great medical practitioners in whom were “our mentors”.

She said during the Ebola period in 2014, all instructions concerning patient’s care were ordered by the Head of State and the House of Legislators. A nurse who claimed to be on shift on 27 September 2014, Ms. Konah J. Quoiquoi earlier told the court on Thursday that while at her assigned area, she heard a heavy car blowing horn outside the JFK’s gate on 20th Street, Sinkor.
At that time witness Quoiquoi said she was attending to another patient; claiming that she later saw the security on the floor while a jeep entered the JFK compound and went to the second gate.

She continued that when the car stopped, a relative disembarked and picked up the patient from in the jeep, holding her in his hands and walked to the main entrance of the building. “The person bringing the patient was trying to talk but was very angry and walking to the main hospital. Then I began to call the hospital administrator. And that’s what I know about this matter,” witness Quoiquoi testified.

Rep. Forh says his daughter was a known asthma patient, and that he needed JFK’s nebulizer to revive Nakita’s breath. But JFK maintains the lawmaker is the only culprit over his daughter’s death, citing his non- compliance and refusal to follow protocol that were in place during the Ebola crisis.

By Winston W. Parley-Editing by Jonathan Browne

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=1] [bsa_pro_ad_space id=2] [bsa_pro_ad_space id=3] [bsa_pro_ad_space id=4] [bsa_pro_ad_space id=5] [bsa_pro_ad_space id=6]
Back to top button