Above Article Ad


JFK to shut down! Ebola kills chief medical doctor

The New Dawn Liberia The New Dawn LiberiaAuthorities at the state run John F. Kennedy (JFK) Memorial Hospital here are said to be considering plans to shut down all activities at the hospital for 21-days due to the increasing number of reported Ebola cases, this paper have learnt.

JFK is one of the biggest state run referral hospitals here and has ushered in a number of Ebola suspected cases, many of whom have died.

The news come amidst unconfirmed reports of the death of one of the hospital’s senior medical practitioner, Dr, Samuel Brisbane, a former Chief Medical Doctor at the Firestone Rubber Plantation run Hospital from the deadly Ebola virus here on Thursday July 24, 2014.

The Assistant Minister of Health for Preventive Services Mr. Tolbert Nyenswah said he could not confirm the reported death of Dr. Brisbane on Thursday because he had not received the information at the time. Sources say authorities at the JFK are said to be taking the measure to observe the current Ebola cases already at hospital within that 21 day period.

Normal activities at the JFK came to a standstill when nurses escaped their duties fearing the contraction of the virus. The nurses action early in the morning was prompted by reports that Dr. Brisbane had contracted that virus and was in critical condition.

A New Dawn reporter who visited the JFK said several nurses abandoned patience and their various offices and were seen standing around the hospital compound in fear. Our reporter also observed that the OPD Wall, the Operation Room, the pharmacy and other important segments of the hospital were all closed to the public.

The nurses were also said to be staying away from job due to what they called the hospital refusal to pay them their salary and incentives especially ahead of the July 26 Independence Day celebrations.

When contacted via text message after repeated unanswered calls, JFK”s Public Relations Officer Mr. Daylue Goah declined to address the issue. Mr. Goah told the New Dawn  minutes after he was texted that he was still making some calls to address the New Dawn inquiry into the nurses go slow and the shutting down of the hospital but fail to call up to press time.

Back to top button