The driver of the National Transit Authority (NTA) bus recently involved in the tragic accident along the Gbarnga highway in Bong County has told this paper that he is not at fault despite blame from the public. Robert Lamie said conductors over loaded the bus against his advice.
He told The NewDawnfrom his bed at the Phebe Hospital in Suakoko, on the outskirt of Gbarngathat he was not intoxicated during the accident last week and had drove with a sober mind.
According to him, when he drove near the town of Zeansue in Bong County, the bus’s engine went off, causing him to lose control of the steering, adding that the bas has a power steering system, which makes it pretty difficult to control when the engine is off.
Lamiesaid the National Transit Authority prohibits drunk-driving and maintained that he was not under the influence of alcohol as has been widely rumored. At least six passengers died instantly last week Wednesday, 4 August and several others seriously wounded when the NTA bus with plate number 5138 crushed into a dish on the Gbarnga-Monrovia Highway after it somersaulted several times.
Meanwhile, the Phebe Hospital has discharged over 40 persons and transferred one critical case.
Some of the 76 victims taken to the hospital are still undergoing treatment. Besides the six persons, who died in the accident, there has been no death reported at the Phebe Hospital. By Papa Morris in Bong – Editing by Jonathan Browne