Over 200 persons have been made homeless in the 20 Street community of Sinkor after fire terribly burnt seven houses to ashes. The houses were said to be makeshift structures. The fire, according to the residents, was a result of candle used by a boy, 17 (name not disclosed).
The occupants of the burned houses are said to be sleeping on the streets around the JFK compound since February 9 because of the lack of shelters. The residents are, however, calling on government and humanitarian organizations to aid them.
“Representative Ketterkumeh Murray had given us some food and money. We are disgraced in this community for nothing. Where can we go now?
We will sleep right here on the bare floor,” Gloria, one resident said to the New Dawn in tears pointing to the streets floor. Some of those affected by the fire disaster are said to be Liberians just returning from Sierra Leone.
Meanwhile, an American philanthropist Leonard Kragness has donated L$350, 000 as contribution to the fire victim. Kragness, who is President of the Sinoe Mining and Exploration, Inc. expressed regret for the incident. He told reporters that his donation was based on a humanitarian feeling he had for his fellow human being.