Below the Header Ad

CDC storms police headquarters

Above Article Ad

CDCPartisans of main opposition Congress for Democratic Change or CDC chanting militant slogans flanked their political leader Senator George Weah at the National Police Headquarters where he had accompanied his party vice chair for mobilization Mulbah Morlu on Thursday, 3 March to face police inquiry.

Mr. Morlu, who publicly sanctioned statements read by the indicted self-proclaimed advocate Vandala Patricks, now charged with sedition and criminal libel against the President, equally appeared before police two days after Patricks was released on cash bond.

In a series of troubling events that marred politicians’ challenge against government’s handling of the late Harry Greaves’ death investigation, another protester Achie I. Sannoh faces multiple charges of rioting, criminal mischief, simple assault and disorderly conduct, while presidential hopeful Simeon Freeman remains on the run after alleging he is one of 10 persons listed by the Government to be eliminated.

After CDC leader Sen. Weah and his partisans departed the police headquarters yesterday, Police Spokesman Sam Collins, later told the NewDawn Newspaper via mobile phone in the afternoon Mr. Morlu was released to his lawyers “and will be reporting,” adding “investigation is ongoing.”

The Monday, 29 February incident on Capitol Hill when Morlu and some protesters gathered at the Temple of Justice in demand of Patricks’ release, witnessed destruction of properties and disruption of classes at the state-run University of Liberia where students were sitting final exams when protesters and police locked down into stones and teargas battle.

Ahead of Morlu’s release, Sen. Weah said he took the CDC Vice Chair for Operations to the police because he did not want him to be picked up at night, adding that the party believes in the rule of law.  Senator Weah asked his partisans to return to the party headquarters in Congo Town, saying “Morlu is in good hands; he’s okay,” though he argued that there was no arrest warrant for him.

“The good thing about it, there was no warrant for Morlu; Morlu was just called to make statement and he made statement and he will be back to you people,” Sen. Weah told his supporters who repeatedly chanted “we want Morlu” in front of the police headquarters where riot officers were posted. He said police saw Morlu at a peaceful rally and wanted him to answer some questions.

CDC lawmaker Rep. Bhofal Chambers, expressed confidence that Morlu would not have slept in police custody for any reason; but noted he would write his statement and thereafter leave the scene. He said Morlu was not charged, but he was called “for general conversation and the state of the security,” describing the way police had handled the matter with Morlu as “professional” and suggested that it seemed “there are new dimensions.

By Winston W. Parley & Bridgett Milton-”Edited by Jonathan Browne


Related Articles

Back to top button