[bsa_pro_ad_space id=1]

Politics News

Fire razes church, school, residence

Fire has gutted a church building, school, recording studio and a private residence in New Matadi Estate community, Fiamah Monrovia, destroying properties worth several thousand dollars.

The Word of Life International Ministries Inc, its recording studio and school building, including pastor’s residence were razed to the ground recently after an electrical shock from a faulty generator.

Founder and General Overseer, Reverend Sondia Martha Tubman, attributes cause of the fire to a generator that suddenly blazed in flames while it power switch was being turned on.

Reverend Tubman narrates, “New Matadi Estate has been out of electricity for close to three months and I bought a generator to keep my home and ministry running, but it in no time [it] developed problem and it was repaired but surprisingly on 21st March at about 7:45 while trying to send current to the house by the powers switch, fire popped up and I fell in the stairs and rolled down for safety.”

She laments that had it not been intervention from God and neighbors, who came to her rescue, she and her entire household would have sustained serious injuries, as the fire in no time escalated, taking over the facilities: church, school, and home.

“I’ve lost everything; not even a suit, least to talk about the moneys I was keeping for individuals and the community, and the interesting thing is that our ministry does not have external partners, who would help rebuild our damaged facilities.”
She is currently seeking refuge at the 5th Street residence of her daughter in Sinkor, Monrovia.

“While my house was burning, those I thought were helping to save some of my things, converted them into their use,” she further explains in frustration.
With a membership of over 200 and about 150 tuition- free students, the ministries’ operation is seriously challenged.

It would require intervention by philanthropists, humanitarian organizations and well-meaning Liberians to rescue the institution from collapse.

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=1]

The incident at the Word of Life International Ministries Inc followed the death of five family members of Montserrado County District#11 Representative Richard Koon, after they inhaled carbon monoxide, a poisonous smoke from a generator at their residence in Hilltop community, Barnsville, outside Monrovia on 15 March. Editing by Jonathan Browne

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=1] [bsa_pro_ad_space id=2] [bsa_pro_ad_space id=3] [bsa_pro_ad_space id=4] [bsa_pro_ad_space id=5] [bsa_pro_ad_space id=6]
Back to top button