Fire kills 77 year – old visually impaired women
A 77 year – old visually impaired woman named Kebbeh Marlay Yelobah has died as a result of a fire incident that is reported to have emerged from her bedroom within the 72nd Boulevard Community of Paynesville.
According to the granddaughter of the victim, Ellen Yelobah, the fire incident started around 2:00am on Tuesday, 31 October. Witness Ellen says the victim was heard alarming over the fire incident, and they saw the fire in the victim’s room when they came out.
The granddaughter of the victim is blaming the incident on a mosquito coil that the victim reportedly lit during the night in her room to prevent mosquito bites.
According to Ellen, community dwellers came to their rescue when the fire started, adding that they were later joined by the Liberia National Fire Service in an effort to extinguish to avoid extending to neighbors.
By the time fire service could arrive, witness Ellen says her grandmother was dead, saying the fire started from her room and she could not come out by herself because she was blind.
She says the house burned and they were unable to take their belongings out, especially citing her her school fees and uniform. A grandson of the victim Francis Yelobah has called on stakeholders and all well meaning Liberians to come to their aid because their house that got burned was a rented property and they don’t have anywhere to live now.
By Bridgett Milton–Edited by Winston W. Parley